Exercises to Promote Weight Loss in Cats
21 June 2021 — Cats
In conjunction with a weight management diet, overweight and obese cats need exercise to lose and maintain a healthy weight. Here are some ideas to keep your cat active:
- Play with your cat! Encouraging your cat to chase after a cat teaser is a great way to get them moving. If your cat does not seem especially interested, try a catnip spray to stimulate them.
- Interactive toys! With our busy schedules, it can sometimes be hard to find the time to set aside to play with our cats. There are many toy options that will move on their own, keeping your cat entertained and moving if you do not have the time to. Some examples include the spinning bee, dancing fish and interactive circuits in the Catit Senses line!
- Interactive feeders! Our domestic cats’ ancestors and cousins spent up to 80% of their time foraging for food. This certainly is not the case for domestic cats. To keep your cat both physically and mentally stimulated, try an interactive feeder during feedings. Interactive feeders such as cat trees or puzzles will stimulate your cat’s natural hunting instincts and make them work for their food. Cats who are fed through interactive feeders are less likely to eat out of boredom and need to work for their food.
- Walk your cat! Many cats enjoy going for walks or hikes in the spring and summertime. Be sure to put your cat on a harness specifically made for cats, to ensure they cannot slip out of it. Not only will they enjoy soaking up some sun, but they’ll also discover new scents and sights.
- Two is better than one! If you feel it is the right time to get another pet, another cat or dog may keep your cat busy and active while you are at work or occupied.
JOIN THE ZOË FAMILY!
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER