Red Velvet PupcakesFebruary 4, 2016
Red velvet has become very popular in the world of sweets in the past little while. So why not give your pooch a taste and let your bestie try these crimson-hued beauties? Beet juice colours the cakes and the cottage cheese icing helps make these trendy treats balanced and delicious.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup beet puree or fresh beet juice
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour *
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Heat oven to 350˚ Line a six-cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil, applesauce and beet puree.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Slowly stir flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups to three-quarters full and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the pan and cool on a rack.
- In the bowl of a food processor, puree cottage cheese until smooth, about 30 seconds. Keep frosting refrigerated until cupcakes are completely cool. Frost and serve.
*For those pets with gluten intolerances, feel free to substitute with coconut flour or almond flour