Gourmet Grilled Cheese & Bacon SandwichJuly 17, 2015
Let’s be serious, who can resist a crispy grilled cheese sandwich? We definitely can’t. Give your taste buds a special treat with this classic delicacy.
And if your better half is begging for a bite, tell him he’s got his own version!
What you’ll need:
- 2 slices sourdough bread, ½ inch thick
- 2 thick slices bacon, pre-cooked
- 2 ounces (55 g) hard cheese, such as gruyere, extra-sharp cheddar, or gouda (help your cheese melt more evenly by taking it out of the fridge 1 hour ahead of time)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt & black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
How to make it:
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Mix mayonnaise, Dijon, parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Spread mixture on unbuttered side of both bread slices.
- Lay pre-cooked bacon on one slice of bread.
- Grate the hard cheeses at coarsest setting.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on bacon.
- Lay remaining bread slice on top of cheese, mayonnaise mixture side down.
- Grill in Panini press until cheese melted and bread toasted. No Panini press? Heat your sandwich on one side for 3 minutes on a non-stick skillet at medium temperature and put pressure on the sandwich with a spatula. Flip the sandwich and heat for another 3 minutes while putting pressure with the spatula.
How to re-invent it:
Mix it up by adding apples, mushrooms or asparagus. Use different bread like 12 grains bread or bread with nuts.