Dog-licious TreatsJanuary 21, 2016
Made with hearty oatmeal and cheese, this delicious treat will please the tastes of any doggie gourmand.
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cup hot water or meat juices
- 4oz (1 cup) grated cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup wheat germ*
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 cups whole wheat flour**
*Substitute flax seeds for the wheat germ for those pups intolerant to wheat
** Substitute gluten-free flour varieties such as almond flour or coconut flour for those dogs intolerant to wheat
- Preheat oven to 300˚F.
- In a large bowl, pour hot water over oatmeal and margarine and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in powdered milk, grated cheese, salt and egg. Add cornmeal and wheat germ. Mix well. Add flour, 1/3 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Knead 3 or 4 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make a very stiff dough. Pat orroll dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into bone-shaped biscuits and place on a greased bakingsheet.
- Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees. Turn off heat and leave in oven for 1 ½ hours or longer.
Makes approximately 2 ¼ pounds. Store in an airtight container.
Source: Gourmet Sleuth