A Holiday Treat with Apple & PumpkinDecember 17, 2015
Families have been baking for the holidays for centuries. Fragrant spices and dried fruit made up most of these delicacies. As time has passed and our families have grown to include our fur babies, holiday baking has grown to include treats for our prized pets. Check out this delicious blend of apple and pumpkin to nourish and satisfy your furry friend.
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour*
- 1 cup wheat germ*
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
*should your dog be wheat intolerant you can substitute the wheat flour/wheat germ with coconut flour but be aware that the consistency of the batter may change slightly and needs to be adjusted a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Mix the flour, wheat germ and flaxseed and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients (honey, eggs, oil, water, applesauce and pumpkin puree) until they form a uniform mixture and add them to the dry ingredients above
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 0.5 cm thickness (¼ inch); use holiday cookie cutters to cut the dough into the desired shape
- Grease an oven tray slightly with vegetable oil or use parchment paper so that the cookies do not stick
- Bake for 25 minutes or until they are brown and hard
- Make sure to let them cool off before giving them to your dog and store them in an airtight container
- Let your pup consume them within 6 weeks
The Zoë team wishes you a peaceful holiday season and a fantastic start to the New Year, bon appétit!